Monday, September 03, 2012
Duck Stuff: Morning Mud
• Mike Jorgensen and Jill Savage break down The Oregon Ducks' season opener against Arkansas State. Oregon wins 57-34. Video courtesy of Oregonsportsnet.
• Bob Clark notes Chip Kelly was mostly pleased with Oregon's effort as he talked with reporters on the Sunday teleconference call.
On did he wish the starters had played more: "If one of our guys got hurt when we were up 50 and we lose them for extended period of time ... that’s the Catch 22. You want to get your guys work but you can’t afford to lose anybody" when the outcome is decided.
• Kevin Gemmell has a helmet sticker for De'Anthony Thomas and says Marcus Mariota shined.
De'Anthony Thomas, Oregon: Can you imagine what this guy could have done if he actually played for more than a quarter and a half? He caught four balls for 55 yards and two touchdowns and ran for 64 yards and a score on three carries -- including a 33-yard touchdown run during Oregon's 57-34 win over Arkansas State.
Marcus Mariota was stunning in his Oregon debut, tossing three touchdowns on 19-of-23 passing.
• Aaron Fentress repots there were a few negatives noted in the Arkansas St. game.
"It was wonderful that everybody got a chance to play," Nick Aliotti said. "I just would have liked that when they got a chance to play that we would have performed a little bit better."
• Rob Moseley looks ahead to the Fresno St. game next weekend.
In Fresno State, the Ducks will face another opponent with a new coach, and Tim DeRuyter has installed his version of a spread offense. In the opening win, junior quarterback Derek Carr.
“It’s a new coach so it’s similar but not as hard” as preparing for Arkansas State, Kelly said, since the Ducks do have video of a game.
Posted by Mike Wines at 7:02 AM