Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Duck Stuff: Morning Mud
• Rob Moseley has your Tuesday practice update and supplies the video of LaMichael James updating his own injury status.
The big news of the day is linebacker Michael Clay expressing confidence he'll play Saturday against the Sun Devils. Clay was tied for the Pac-12 lead in tackles when he suffered an ankle injury that knocked him out of the last three games, including the Cal game even though he returned to practice last week.
"Last week I wasn't able to go and make a difference for the team," Clay said. "This week, the weekend really helped, I've been working hard at getting back on the field, so I'm feeling a lot better to play this week."
• The Oregon game at Colorado on Oct. 22nd was picked up by Fox Sports Nortwest with a 12:30 pm kick-off time.
• Ted Miller has a mid-season review of Oregon where you will find LMJ as the offensive MVP (no surprise there) and the defensive MVP going to John Boyett.
FS John Boyett. Boyett leads the Ducks with 29 tackles. He also has two tackles for a loss and four pass breakups.
• GoDucks.com has their week seven football release available. Learn all there is to know about the Oregon vs ASU matchup.
• Oregon is on a six game winning streak against ASU. Can they do it again? Aaron Fentress has the story.
For this streak to continue, Oregon coach Chip Kelly said the Ducks must overcome a talented and experienced ASU defense that has forced 18 turnovers and ranks second in the Pac-12 in both points allowed (19.5 per game) and total defense (349 yards per game).
“They are really athletic on the defensive side of the ball,” Kelly said.
• Steve Summers has a Q&A with Hod Rabino of DevilsDigest.com.
• Steve Summers also wonders if the defense will start to see an increase this week in the number of INT's. They had seven last year against ASU.
• Rob Moseley notes the secondary will be tested again this week against a pass-happy ASU.
• Dale Newton believes there is reason to be concerned about the ASU game.
To beat the Sun Devils in Autzen with Game Day in town, the Ducks need to turn around this turnover trend. They can’t give ASU life by surrendering the football, and they have to get the Sun Devil offense off the field as often and as quickly as they can. With LaMichael James likely to be out, Oregon’s margin of error isn’t as great. They need Darron Thomas and Kenjon Barner to have good days and take care of the football, and the Duck defense to rip, strip and snatch a couple.
Posted by Mike Wines at 4:49 AM