Tuesday, August 16, 2011
Duck Stuff: Morning Mud
• Rob Moseley has your Monday practice update which includes the video above and his plays of the day below.
De'Anthony Thomas had a long run with the No. 2 offense in the two-minute drill to start the day. ... James Euscher got a lot of congrats from his fellow offensive linemen after faring well against Sam Kamp in a one-on-one drill; Euscher is a long-term project at right tackle but has a really impressive frame, long and lean. ... During a team run drill midway through the day, the defense mostly limited big plays, with two notable exceptions. At one point Terrell Turner burst through the line and swallowed up James — but Darron Thomas still had the ball, and ran for a long gain. On the next snap, Thomas handed it to James this time, and the back flew around an end for a long breakaway run. ... Tra Carson fell down just after taking one handoff, but moments later broke a couple of tackles on a long run, the first real "power" carry I've seen from a guy some fans seem to be projecting as the next Jim Brown.
• Chris Courtney and Ken Goe also have stories on practice yesterday. Here is a sample from each article:
Chris: Arguably the most memorable play of the day came from wide receiver Eric Dungy, who hauled in a deep pass from second-string quarterback Bryan Bennett by making an acrobatic leaping grab over junior cornerback Scott Grady. The catch drew ooohs and awes from practice attendees and gave the offense a small "victory" over the defense during the hurry-up sequence.
Ken: The Ducks appeared mostly healthy on Monday. Receiver Josh Huff, wearing a walking boot on Saturday, had shed the boot for practice on Monday, although he didn't wear pads and was mostly a spectator. Defensive tackle Ricky Heimuli left the field at the end of practice wearing a walking boot on his left foot.
• Rob also shares this Chris Pietsch produced video featuring DT talking about the first week of fall camp and answering some questions.
• Rachel Bachman take a fun look at an Oregon fan's collection of vintage baseball and football cards.
• DT has been named to the Manning Award watch list which is given annually to the nations' best college QB.
• FishDuck.com has a great article on the traditions that make up the football season for an Oregon Duck fan.
• Dale Newton advises not to go to sleep on the Dawgs, 'cause they are waking up.
• Ken Goe notes that nobody will be replacing LMJ or KB but it's kind of hard to ignore the talent of De'Anthony Thomas and Tra Carson.
“I don’t remember having any two guys who caught on faster than those two young men have,” UO running backs coach Gary Campbell said. “They’ve both been very impressive.”
Assuming they look as good when the television lights come on as they do on Kilkenny Field, it’s going to be interesting to see how Kelly, Campbell and offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich mix, match and scheme this thing.
Posted by Mike Wines at 4:46 AM