Autzen

Autzen

Photo courtesy of David Putzier at Flickr.

reverse image

reverse image

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Big Night


Hello Family,

It is that time of year again...the Academy Awards are just around the corner, and I want to know what you think! Up for Best Picture this year are Brokeback Mountain, Crash, Capote, Munich, and Good Night and Good Luck. It is sad to me that I have only seen two of these movies.

Crash is my favorite movie of the two I have seen. It is an interlocking story that deals with racism. It is more complicated than a basic race movie however, because you see all sides of people in a way that makes you sympathize with them and their struggles. It tells a real story in a fantastic way.

Brokeback Mountain was a great movie, but I don't think it deserves Best Picture. Again, this movie was complicated...most of us don't know what it is like to live a secret life, and how hard that would be. My main problem with the movie was the development of this "forbidden" love. I was never convinced that these two men should fall in love based on what the movie had shown. I just didn't really buy it...however, the movie was well done, and the scenery is beautiful.

I haven't seen any of the other movies, but I am going to do everything in my power to watch them this week. Hopefully the theater will show them again before the awards night. None of these movies are in the theaters now, and none of them are on DVD...so I just don't know what I am going to do. If you have seen any of these movies and have an opinion, start sharing.

Love, Dave

No comments: