Autzen

Autzen

Photo courtesy of David Putzier at Flickr.

reverse image

reverse image

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Beware!

Maybe you've seen this fantastic piece of indoor "art" sitting on the end table at the end of the couch, it has been happily gurgling away now for a little over a year. About twice a week you add a couple of cups of water to it and voila, you can enjoy the peaceful sounds of a small creek.

But all is not what it seems; yesterday I noticed an unusual formation growing on the black slate. Undaunted I "touched" this new addition; luckily I had not eaten in the last several hours as I am sure it would have come up instantly. After a few dry heaves I unplug the monstrosity from the wall and take it to the kitchen sink.

Under the bright neon lights I can better see the extent of the growth. It is, how can I describe this(?), picture what you might find after leaving a loaf of bread, unwrapped, on your kitchen counter for a month with a slight sprinkling of water added to the mix every day. At one point just before I dumped the whole mess into a sink full of soapy bleach water, I swore I saw it pulsate, as in heartbeat.

I now know where the creature out of Alien was spawned. After an hour of scrubbing I was able to extricate the fountain back to its original glory. Just another fun day in paradise!

No comments: