Autzen

Autzen

Photo courtesy of David Putzier at Flickr.

reverse image

reverse image

Monday, February 21, 2005

And the Winner Is...

The Wines Family
That does it...I have seen my final movie for the best picture award. "Ray" is a different kind of movie. Jaime Foxx does do an excellent job, as Dad and Chuck have observed. He was born to play that role. The movie takes place over the many years spanning Ray Charles' career. With movies like that, I tend to be disappointed. I feel like everything is so disconnected when that much time spans in a movie. It didn't seem to bother me in "The Aviator" as much as it did in "Ray." I liked the movie, but everything seemed as important as everything else in it to me. There wasn't a big deal about the success he was having...all of the sudden he was playing in these big arenas, and you never got a sense that this was a big deal to him. He became rich and famous, and the only clue the movie gives you is the fact that he is buying bigger homes and that he has more fans at his concerts. I don't know, maybe it is just me. I enjoyed the movie, but it doesn't receive my Oscar nod. So, my final listing looks something like this...

1) Finding Neverland
2) The Aviator
3) Ray
4) Million Dollar Baby
5) Sideways

Let me know how you feel...and try to watch each of these movies soon. The reality is that I am comparing five fantastic movies. Sometimes when I make lists like these it seems like I don't enjoy the lower-tiered movies. I do. It is just that you are comparing the best of the best, and sometimes it is easy to forget that. Have a beautiful day!

Dave

No comments: